Date Posted: June 14th, 2010
Start Date: July 1st, 2010
End Date: August 31, 2010
Application Deadline: June 21st, 2010 – 9:00 am (early applications are encouraged)
antidote: Multiracial and Indigenous Girls and Women’s Network is a grassroots network and community-based organization of over 150 multiracial girls and women in Victoria, British Columbia. Our members represent diverse voices, ages, ethno-cultural, linguistic and religious backgrounds, and affiliations in the community. We work with youth, multiracial families, schools, community groups, service providers, policy makers and researchers to promote the visibility and needs of racialized minority and Indigenous girls and women.
We are looking for an enthusiastic youth with initiative to support antidote and its programming in the summer. The position will focus primarily on assisting the sistah facilitator in building resources for antidote, including developing strategies for fund-raising and membership. In addition, the successful candidate will work with staff, board and volunteers to create a sustainable plan for the Gurlz programming.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Work with other staff members to co-ordinate events and support ongoing antidote programs.
- Work with board members and facilitate/participate in committee meetings as needed.
- Plan and develop gurlz programming.
- Partner with strategically selected organizations and youth programs to further antidote programming and financial sustainability.
On the job training and support will be provided. The successful applicant MUST have been a full-time high school student this year and be returning to full-time studies in the Fall (not necessarily back to high school) and should have most of the following skills and experiences:
- Working knowledge of anti-racism, anti-oppression, and feminist practices.
- Experience as a youth participant in cross-cultural settings.
- Flexibility and the ability to work independently.
- Willingness to develop grant-writing skills.
- Willingness to co-ordinate and organize fund-raising events. Experience with antidote event planning an asset.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Strong written and oral cross-cultural communications skills.
- Knowledge of Victoria’s resources, community organizations and businesses an asset.
- Willingness to be challenged, learn new things and adapt to change.
- Experience with Word, Excel, Internet, e-mail and multi-media formats (digital photography and films, and I Movie).
- Gurlz Faciltator to be involved with re-energizing the Gurlz club membership, recruiting, and expanding the gurlz club membership in addition to fund-raising assistance. Related to fundraising efforts, the successful applicant will be expected to organize media projects for distribution (training will be provided).
We invite all applicants but preference will be given to Indigenous and racialized women. Preference will be given to gurlz aged 15-18 years of age. We ask that applicants self-identify in their letter of interest and resume package.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. In advance, thank you for your interest in this position and we apologize for not contacting everyone.
Please submit applications electronically to: Sonya Dhudwal